Monday, October 8, 2012

The one-day sign

Over the weekend, my baby surprised me by learning a new sign after seeing me produce it only a few times!

A friend and I drove up the mountain to check out the fall colors.  She has a cute little dog that all my children were quite enamored with (can you tell we don't have any pets?).  My three year old was letting the dog walk him while everyone else played in the woods.


My baby, Elaina, was quite taken with the four legged animal.  She watched him constantly and kept leaning towards him with her arms outstretched.  
She picked up the sign immediately; I only showed it to her twice before she was doing it herself.

To sign dog, you slap your thigh as if you're calling your dog to come 
(you can then snap your fingers, but for babies I keep it simple and leave it at a leg slap).  

Elaina (12 months) signs 'dog'

The funny thing was that Elaina would use both hands and would slap whoever's thigh was closest, and as we were sitting on the ground together, it was often my thigh she would slap!

I was amazed at how quickly she learned the sign.  After spending months signing 'milk' and 'eat' and waiting for her to produce them, it is such a pleasant surprise to see her pick up a sign in one day!

If there is one thing that really grabs the interest of your child, learn the sign, and teach them!  You'll be amazed at how quickly they 'get it'!  

What things interest your baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment